Understanding a City Council Meeting
Welcome! The Rolling Meadows City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month starting at 7:30 PM in the Council Chamber, 3600 Kirchoff Road, 2nd floor, unless otherwise specified. The Committee of the Whole* is held on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM. All meetings, with the exception of Executive Sessions, are open to the public. Meeting agendas are posted on the first floor City Hall Bulletin board and also on the Internet. Extra copies are available in the City Council Chambers on the night of the meeting. Council meetings are also televised live on local cable channel 6 and streamed on the City's website
- Call to Order: The Mayor or Mayor Pro Tem, officially calls the meeting to order by announcing the date and time.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Roll Call: The Deputy City Clerk reads the roll for members present.
- Motion to Approve City Council Minutes of Previous Meeting(s).
- Motion to Deviate: Special presentations, such as awards, promotions, etc., are made at this time.
- Mayor's Report: Mayor's opportunity to make announcements or discuss issues.
- Ward Reports: Alderman may make announcements or discuss issues.
- Meeting Open to the Public: During a 20 minute period, the public is invited to present comments regarding any item not included on the agenda.
- Pending: Ordinances being presented for 2nd reading.
- Consent: Ordinance being presented for the 1st reading. (If the 1st reading is being waived, it will be under New Business on the agenda.)
- New Business: Items from the agenda needing a motion and vote for passage.
- Discussion Items: There may be times that City Council Members, City Manager, or Department Heads request to discuss certain items on the regular agenda.
- Other Business & Reports: During this segment of the meeting the Mayor makes appointments to committees/commissions, and makes proclamations.
- Executive Session: The City Council recesses to meet in private to discuss matters such as personnel issues, land acquisitions and /or litigation. No final action is ever taken in Executive Session. The City Council reconvenes back in open session where they may take action on matters discussed in Executive Session.
- Adjournment: The Mayor officially calls for a motion to adjourn the meeting. A vote is taken and the meeting concludes.
*Committee of the Whole Meeting - This is a workshop meeting held on the 3rd Tuesday evening of each month. Items are discussed more in-depth, but no voting is conducted.
The City Council employs Roberts Rules of Order as guidelines in conducting meetings. Special rules are incorporated as necessary.