This program can also be adopted by homeowner's associations to effectively deal with the portions of their association that are rental units. This program is simple, honest and direct. It is solution-oriented. The program has been proven highly effective if the guidelines it presents are followed.
The program uses a unique, 3-part approach which ensures the crime prevention goal, while maintaining a tenant-friendly approach:
- Phase 1: Involves a 4-hour seminar presented by the Rolling Meadows Police Department. Topics include: Crime Prevention, benefits of applicant screening, crime free lease addendum, evictions, and pro-active management techniques. The seminar is typically held on one Saturday a month from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Phase 2: Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) certification. CPTED reviews security requirements necessary for tenant's safety.
- Phase 3: To obtain full certification, property managers will be required to hold a tenant crime prevention meeting, and will be provided with materials and assistance to publicize the meeting with their tenants.
Upon completion, managers may post signs on their property indicating participation in the Rolling Meadows Crime Free Multi-Housing Program. Additionally, managers will be granted the use of the CFMH program logo in their brochures and advertisements.
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base
- Increased demand for rental units
- Lower maintenance and repair costs
- Increased property values
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords and managers
- Peace of mind that comes when spending more time dedicated to routine management and less time on crisis control
For More Information
For more information regarding this program or if you have taken a Crime Free Multi-Housing seminar at another jurisdiction, please contact Crime Free Housing Coordinator G. Pak by email or by phone at 847-870-9060.