Do I need insurance or a bond for my project?

Yes. Any contractor doing work in the right of way needs to provide the City a certificate of insurance that meets the following requirements:

  • Commercial General Liability: $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence for bodily injury.
  • Property damage and $1,000,000 per occurrence for personal injury. The general aggregate shall be twice the required occurrence limit. Minimum General Aggregate shall be no less than $2,000,000 or a project/contract specific aggregate of $1,000,000.
  • Owners and Contractors Protective Liability (OCP): $1,000,000 combined single limit.
  • Automobile liability: $1,000,000 combined single limit per accident for bodily injury and property damage.
  • Compensation limits as required by the Labor Code of Illinois and Employers' Liability limits of $1,000,000 per accident.
  • The Contractor shall include all subcontractors as insured under its policies or shall furnish separate certificates of insurance and endorsements for each subcontractor. All coverage for subcontractors shall be subject to all of the requirements stated herein.
  • The Contractor shall provide an ISO form #CG20-12 or equivalent per insurance company state filing, naming the City of Rolling Meadows as their interest may occur.

A surety bond will also be required to protect the City against failure to restore the right-of-way. The amount will depend on the scope and type of work being completed, and the amount will be communicated as part of the right-of-way permit approval. The bond shall be released to the permit holder upon the expiration of the guarantee period. The guarantee period shall be for a period of two years following the satisfactory completion of the permitted work. During the guarantee period, the applicant shall be responsible for the restoration, repair, and maintenance of their work

Show All Answers

1. What is a Right-of-Way?
2. What are parkways?
3. What projects require a right-of-way permit?
4. What are typical right-of-way projects?
5. What types of work in the right-of-way require building permits?
6. Why do I need a right-of-way permit?
7. What do I need to apply for a right-of-way permit?
8. How do I know if my right-of-way project is in the City's jurisdiction?
9. How do I submit for a right-of-way permit now that I have what I need?
10. How long it my right-of-way permit good for?
11. What types of inspection do I need for my right-of-way project?
12. What if I need to work near or under a parkway tree?
13. What about right-of-way work during the winter?
14. Do I need a contractor's license for a right-of-way project?
15. Do I need insurance or a bond for my project?