What is a Right-of-Way?

The right-of-way (ROW) is public property that includes any public thoroughfare such as a street, road, or alley.  It also usually includes adjacent median, curbs, ditches and culverts, parkways and parkway trees, utility poles, sidewalks, and driveway aprons, which is the section of all driveways between the street curb and the property line. Improvements located underground in the ROW include stormwater mechanisms, water mains, and sanitary sewers, as well as other public utility and cable lines.  The ROW typically starts 12-18” from the edge of the public sidewalk nearest the residence or business and continues to the same point on the opposite side of the street. The exact location of the ROW boundary line can only be determined by locating buried property survey stakes, obtaining the information from your plat of survey, or hiring a licensed surveyor to establish new property survey markers.  Rights-of-way can fall under City, County, or State jurisdiction.  In Rolling Meadows, the following roads are in part or fully NOT within the City’s jurisdiction: Algonquin Road, Golf Road, Euclid Road, Plum Grove Road, Meacham Road, and Hicks Road.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Right-of-Way?
2. What are parkways?
3. What projects require a right-of-way permit?
4. What are typical right-of-way projects?
5. What types of work in the right-of-way require building permits?
6. Why do I need a right-of-way permit?
7. What do I need to apply for a right-of-way permit?
8. How do I know if my right-of-way project is in the City's jurisdiction?
9. How do I submit for a right-of-way permit now that I have what I need?
10. How long it my right-of-way permit good for?
11. What types of inspection do I need for my right-of-way project?
12. What if I need to work near or under a parkway tree?
13. What about right-of-way work during the winter?
14. Do I need a contractor's license for a right-of-way project?
15. Do I need insurance or a bond for my project?