Going Green Resources

Energy Efficiency Tips for Small Businesses
Looking for ways to reduce your energy costs? Need some quick suggestions to make your business more energy efficient? The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a website devoted to assisting small businesses with tools and information you need to make informed decisions about clean energy and energy efficiency. For more information, visit the EPA website.

Commonwealth Edison (ComEd) Take the Pledge Giveaway
Take the ENERGY STAR® Change the World Pledge to become more energy efficient and you'll be entered into the ComEd Take the Pledge Giveaway! You could win $2,000 towards the purchase of an ENERGY STAR® qualified appliance or electronic device, to be selected with the help of the ComEd Energy Doctor. More than 2.3 million Americans have taken the pledge and saved more the $477 million in energy costs. For ideas and information on energy efficiency incentives, visit the ComEd Smart Ideas website or call 888-806-2273.

Energy Impact Illinois Energy Calculator

Energy Impact Illinois (EI2) recently launched Encompass, a new energy calculator for commercial building owners to determine the best path towards energy savings. Be sure to check out the latest "Energy Bills" video webisodes that show residents of northeastern Illinois how to save energy and money by improving their home's efficiency.

Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC)

SWANC teaches on the benefits of waste reduction practices such as reduce, reuse, recycle, and buy recycled.


SWANCC and the Rolling Meadows Public Works Department are working together to provide residential SWANCC members with the ability to recycle the following items.

Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs
This is a recycling program for residentially-generated spent Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) from SWANCC member community residents’ households. No commercial or institutional waste will be accepted and IDs will be checked. Fluorescent tubes up to 4 feet will also be accepted at our facility.

This program recycles over-the-counter medications and prescription medications (not including controlled substances). Residents should leave the medication in the original container to identify their medication, however, they may cross out any names and addresses to protect their privacy.

Residents with controlled substances should take their medication out of the original container and mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds. Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag. Place the sealed container with the mixture in the trash.

Any resident that lives in a SWANCC-member community and administers home-injections is eligible to receive a 1 quart sharps container. When it is full, you may drop it off at Public Works for recycling.