City Hall Community Development Finance Department Fire Department Police Department Public Works

Finance Department
3600 Kirchoff Road
Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008
(847) 394-8500 (847) 394-8710 Fax
Effective July 1, 2009 - Cashier Hours 8:00am - 4:00pm - Monday - Friday

Finance Home
Things To Know
New Resident Info
Vehicle Stickers
Dog Licenses
Utility Billing
Contact Us

Things to Know

For the benefit and protection of all residents, certain regulations are enforced within the City. Please note the following items and feel free to call 847.394.8500 if you have any questions.

Building Permits

Building permits are required for home improvements and/or repairs. Please call the Community Development Department to verify permit requirements. Issuance of a permit assures that a City building inspector will inspect the work and verify that it complies with building code requirements.

Please contact the Community Development Department at 847-506-6030 with any questions or visit their webpage at to download informational handouts as well as permit and license applications

Business Licenses

Business Licenses and/or Business Registrations are required for firms and facilities operating in the City.  Business Licenses are required for all contractors working in the City.  Any questions should be directed to the Community Development Department at 847-506-6030.


A curfew for residents 16 years of age and under is enforced by the City. Minors may not be in any public assembly, building, place, street or highway after curfew unless accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult approved by the parent. An exception is made for minors who are employed during curfew hours.

The curfew extends from 12:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday; 11:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday.

Garage Sales

Garage Sales do not require a permit, but City ordinances do require the following: Signs must be freestanding and not affixed to fences, utility poles or placed in any driver's line of vision. You may place a freestanding sign on your private property. If signs are to be placed anywhere other than your own property, including the public right-of-way, approval must be obtained from the property owner directly adjacent to, and who has maintenance responsibilities for, the public way upon which the sign is placed. Without such approval the property owner is authorized to remove the sign. A premises is limited to a maximum of three (3) garage sales within any 12-month period. Garage sales are not to exceed two (2) consecutive weekends in duration.

Lawn Sprinkling

Lawn sprinkling is prohibited between 12:00 noon and 6:00 p.m., every day, from May 15 through September 15. The need for adequate water pressure and water conservation makes this restriction necessary. Violation of this ordinance may result in a fine.

Open Burning

Burning of garbage or other debris is prohibited within the City limits.


Parking is prohibited on any City street between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. of any day.

Parking is prohibited on any City street for eight hours following a snowfall of one or more inches. Parked cars prevent the snow removal crew from doing a thorough job of clearing the streets. Once the snow has stopped falling and the street has been plowed, parking is again legal. Illegally parked cars may be issued a citation and/or towed at the owner's expense.

Auto License Plates

Requirements for obtaining Illinois state license plates depend on  which state the vehicle is currently registered. New residents may obtain specific information from the Secretary of State's office. The toll-free number is 800-252-8980.

Illinois license plates must be obtained immediately when a new vehicle is acquired. State license plates may be obtained directly from the Secretary of State, Motor Vehicle Division, Springfield, Illinois, 62756, the Chicago Secretary of State office, currency exchanges and some banks.

Driver's Licenses

Out-of-state residents have 90 days in which to obtain an Illinois driver's license. A written test, based on the Highway Department's booklet Rules of the Road, as well as a vision test, are required.

Those with a valid out-of-state driver's license are not required to take a road test. The Rules of the Road booklet may be obtained from any of the driver testing stations.

There are four driver testing stations in the area: 1227 E. Golf Road, Schaumburg; 9038 Golf Road, Niles; 5401 N. Elston Avenue, Chicago; and 595 S. State Street, Elgin. Telephone (312) 793-1010 or 1020 or 1031.

Vehicle Stickers

Vehicle Sticker Application

Vehicle Stickers are available for sale at these locations.

All vehicles registered to a City of Rolling Meadows address, including automobiles, trucks, motorcycles and mopeds (pedal cycles), must have a current City vehicle sticker displayed on the vehicle.

Vehicle stickers may be purchased at City Hall. New residents have 60 days from the date of move-in to obtain a sticker.

Senior citizens age 65 and over, active military personnel and handicapped citizens may purchase their stickers for a reduced fee. The City licensing year is from July 1 to June 30 of the following year.

Residents who purchase a new vehicle have 60 days from the date of purchase to obtain a sticker.

Transfer stickers are available for a $10.00 charge when a newly purchased vehicle is replacing a vehicle with a current City sticker.

Dog Licenses

Effective November 25, 2014, Dog Licenses are no longer required in the City of Rolling Meadows per City Ordinance 14-42.

Pet owners are reminded that it is unlawful for dogs and cats to run at large. Unrestrained pets may be impounded and a penalty imposed upon the owner or keeper.

Rolling Meadows requires that owners clean up after their pets on other private or public properties.