City Hall Community Development Finance Department Fire Department Police Department Public Works

Public Works Department
3900 Berdnick Street
Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008



PW Home
Citizen Report
News Updates
Refuse Guidelines
Public Works Divisions
Snow and Ice Control
Sanitary Sewer

No need to sort your Recycling.

Rolling Meadows provides single sort recycling. Place all recyclables into recycling toter carts, and the state of the art recycling facility does the rest.

Only recyclable materials placed into the toter carts will be collected by the recycling company.

DO NOT put refuse or yard waste in recycling carts!

Battery Recycling Program

Convenient Electronics Recycling

Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC)


SWANCC and the Rolling Meadows Public Works Department are working together to provide residential SWANCC members with the ability to recycle the following items at the Rolling Meadows Public Works Department Building located at 3900 Berdnick Street, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008. The drop-off site is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.:  

CFL’s - a recycling program for residentially-generated spent Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) from SWANCC member community residents’ households. No commercial or institutional waste will be accepted and IDs will be checked.  Fluorescent tubes up to 4’ will also be accepted at our facility.

Pharmaceuticals (No Liquids): Over-the-counter medications and prescription medications (not including controlled substances). Residents should leave the medication in the original container to identify their medication; however they may cross-out any names and addresses to protect their privacy.

Residents with controlled substances should take their medication out of the original container and mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds. Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag. Place the sealed container with the mixture in the trash.

Sharps: Any resident that lives in a SWANCC-member community and administers home-injections is eligible to receive a 1 quart and 1 gallon sharps container. When it is full you may drop it off at Public Works for recycling. 

Questions about what is accepted for curbside recycling?

Paper Materials Accepted - All paper type products can be mixed together All paper type products can be mixed together


Includes weekly and Sunday newspapers and all inserts. Do not tie in bundles.

Magazines, Catalogs and Paper Back Books

All glossy magazines, catalogs and phone books

Corrugated Boxes (not exceeding 2' X 2') & Paper Bags

Non-waxed flattened corrugated cardboard cut to a size not exceeding 2' X 2' & all paper bags


Includes cereal and other dry food boxes, pop, beer, and egg cartons

Mixed Paper

Includes junk mail, computer paper, and stationary

Non-Paper Materials Accepted

Glass Bottles & Jars

All clear, brown, and green bottles and jars

Aluminum Cans & Foil

All aluminum containers for food and beverages, foil and pie plates 

Steel Cans

Steel and bi-metal food containers 1 gallon or less in size, and empty aerosol cans

Waxed Cardboard Drink Containers & Gable Top Containers

Juice boxes, milk cartons and juice containers

Plastic Containers and Can Carrier Rings

All clean plastic containers, #'s 1-7 with the exception of  those containing  pool chemicals, paint thinner and wood working products. All 6 and 12 pack can loop carriers.

Used Motor Oil

The Public Works Department no longer accepts used motor oil. Please contact the Public Works office for locations that DO accept used motor oil.




No used motor oil is accepted at this facility!

To comply with E.P.A. regulations, the following items are not accepted for recycling and should be taken to to a local retail outlet or a household hazardous waste collection site for proper disposal:

Tires, Batteries, Old Paint, Gasoline, Garden Chemicals, Antifreeze, and Propane Tanks.

The following are not currently accepted for recycling through the City's recycling program:

Toys, Plastic Bags, Light Bulbs, Plate Glass (windows), Pyrex, Ceramic and Shirt Hangers.

Check out these other WEB sites for information on recycling:

Recycling Site
American Plastics
History of Earth Day and much
Steel Recycling Institute (especially for students)
Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC)

Please do your part and Recycle!